Monday, November 8, 2010

PART 2: "Negotiation"

This thought crossed my mind at about 3 AM this morning when I was having a coversation with Murry about life. In Matthew 8:21, one of the disciples says to Jesus, "Lord, first let me return home and bury my father." Jesus responds with this answer..."Follow me now! Let those who are spiritually dead care for their own dead." In Matthew 4:19, Jesus sees Peter and Andrew fishing and says to them "Come, be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!" Then it says, "And they left their nets at once and went with Him." My thought was this...Sometimes we hear God calling us to do something, and it's almost as if we negotiate with God. We justify not dropping everything to follow His call with the excuse of "Well, I'm going to pray about it for 2 weeks and see what God says." If Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are One, don't you think their answer will be unified? If Jesus called the disciples to follow Him at that very instant, don't you think that when God calls us to do something that He intends for us to act immediately? The very thought of "praying about it" seems ridiculous when you look at it in this sense, doesn't it? Why is there a need to "pray about it" when you've already heard God say what He wants you to do? I'm not saying prayer isn't important. (1 Thessalonians 5:16) But maybe in this instance we should pray about what steps to take in order to accomplish what He's already called us to do. When God asks for something, He doesn't want excuses and negotiations...He wants action. Will you be like Peter and Andrew and drop everything at once, or like the other disciple who wants to get some other things taken care of "before we take off on our journey"?

1 comment: