Monday, October 18, 2010

Nourishment.

As I'm sitting here writing this, I'm eating a meatball hot pocket. These things never get old to me. You can ask anyone in my family...I've been eating them since I was probably 12. I was reading in John chapter 4 today, and there is a part that really stood out to me. The disciples were urging Jesus to eat, and He tells them, "No, I have food you don't know about." (verse 31.) The disciples were confused about where He got this food, and then Jesus says: "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing His work." The disciples were so worried about Jesus not eating. Now, any of the guys in my band can testify to this...If I don't get food, I get cranky and eventually start whining about it. What if we were so concerned about doing God's will rather than filling our lives with all of this stuff that has no value? I know food is important, but it's not just food we do this with. Sometimes for me, it's music, playing Wii, my iPod touch, etc. What if we really valued doing the will of God over all of these things? What would this look like in your own life? I think it has to be a moment by moment conscious effort to really do this. We have so busied ourselves with other things (other nourishment), that we forget why we're really here (and where our real nourishment comes from).

1 comment:

Becky Dietz said...

Zach, I can vouch you've been eating Hot Pockets much longer than that. You still whine??? ;) I love this word...really!